Thursday, January 8, 2009

When Rednecks Get Bored



So today, Jay & I had a bad case of cabin fever. Seeing as it was beautiful out...I came up with a plan. Yes, me. It was my idea. *hangs head in shame* "Get dressed, we will go up the hill, and you ride Sancho, while I take pictures of the horses," I say. Jay, being the fun-loving, I'm Up For Anything person she is, promises to be ready in 10 minutes.

*Background. Last fall, Jay & Daddy were on a trail ride in the middle of a national forest. Her on Sancho, and him on Jack. To make a long story short, Sancho spooked, she hit a tree. (don't ask the play by play, as I'm still unsure of the exact details) Jay laid on the ground for 2o minutes, with her head bleeding, a broken collarbone, dislocated shoulder, and a couple of broken ribs, while my dad had to ride to the top of a mountain for cell service. It took 3 hours, from the time of the crash, to the time she was hauled out, via 4 wheelers & wagon, to a place the helicopter could land. She spent two weeks in ICU.

Ever since then, Daddy does not want her on the horse. When, by hers AND his account, the horse really wasn't acting up, or intending to hurt her - he simply spooked. Nevertheless, Sancho is on his shit list, and has remained there, with very little chance of ever getting off it. So, Jay doesn't get the chance to ride him as often as she would like. Today, would be different.

We hurriedly dress, pull boots on, and head up to the pasture. Look at Sancho....



He is part thoroughbred and she used him to pony horses at the racetrack. I'm more of a Quarter horse, or a draft horse type of person, but can appreciate the long, leggy look of the runners. I simply wouldn't want something wrapped that tightly. I'm more of a pleasure rider. Thanks.





So, she saddles him up. Sancho is ready. You can see the spark in his eyes, the flare in his nostrils, the quivering of those athletic muscles. Jay takes him a couple of laps around the field, at a lope. Sancho is wanting to kick it into 5th gear. Finally, she gives him his head, and he sails across the field. Fluid motion. I have only ever seen one other person that "in tune" with a horse. I caught myself holding my breath as I watched. Were he papered, the son of a gun should be on a track!

They come flying by me, and towards the fence at the end. Sancho knows it is there, Jay knows it is there. He comes into it, with his head indicating he will take a right, but at the last moment, faster than I have ever seen another horse move, he spun to the left. Jay was off balance from the get go, and simply was left in the air as he spun out from under her. I swear, a cheetah couldn't have changed directions that fast! Unfortunately, she managed to come down along the barb wire fence. I could hear her laughter, and a few choice words about what a fast SOB he was, so I knew she was okay. I let my camera fall back around my neck, and caught Sancho as he came trotting by me.

Jay finally stopped laughing, got up, and walked over to where I was. When she turned to get back on him....the words, "oh shit, we are GROUNDED" left my lips. What? What?? She asks. The back of her shirt was torn away, and I snapped a quick shot, to show her what I was seeing.

OUUUCH!













She then climbed back on...and I just had to get a shot.


By the this time, we are alternating between hysterical laughter, and wondering how POed Daddy would be, and if he would let us play together anymore. LOL I got some amazing shots, and video footage (though not of the actual crash). It was a good day on the compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment